Born in Gorky (now Nizhny Novgorod) on May 22, 1956.
In 1984, graduated from the Ilya Repin Institute for Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture (St. Petersburg) with a degree in Art Theory and History.
In 1975-1992, worked at the State Museum of Arts in Nizhny Novgorod, studied the collection of Russian Avant-Garde, and was engaged in visitor relations.
In 1984-1992, lectured art history courses at the Institute of Foreign Languages and the Agricultural Academy.
In 1992, together with Lyubov Saprykina created Caryatid Center, the first regional institution for contemporary art.
Since 1997, is Director of Volga Region Branch of the National Centre for Contemporary Arts.
Since 2000, is Board Chairman of the Foundation “Cultural Capital of Volga Region.” In 2000-2006, managed the programme “Cultural Capital of Volga Region.”
Author of over 150 publications on visual arts and cultural policies.
Manager of numerous exhibitions and art projects, consultant in cultural policies.
Member of AICA (International Association of Art Critics), and the Council on Contemporary Art of the Ministry of Culture of Russia.
Chevalier of the Order of Arts and Letters (France).