Born on June 25, 1956 to the family of Soviet diplomats in Paris. In 1978, graduated from the Department of Art History of the Moscow State University. In 1984, his PhD dissertation was devoted to Russian culture and art at the beginning of the 20th century.
In 1982-1989, worked as architect, Research Fellow and then Senior Research Fellow at the Central Research Institute for the Theory and History of Architecture (departments of Russian and Soviet architectural history).
In 1989-2002, was Head of Contemporary Art Department at Tsaritsyni State Museum Reserve. During these years, collected over 2000 works of contemporary Soviet and Russian art.
In 2002-2008, was Head of Contemporary Art Department at the State Tretyakov Gallery.
Curator and manager of numerous exhibitions in Russia and abroad, and contributor to many publications. For his collecting activities and promotion of Russian contemporary art was awarded the French Order of Arts and Letters.