National Center for Contemporary Art
Ural State University
Department of Art and Cultural Studies
The Consulate General of the USA in Ekaterinburg
Theories and Practices of Media Art
International Interdisciplinary Seminar
USU, Lenina 51, room 228
Today’s culture is the culture of various syntheses. “Hybrid”, or media art is thus one of the most cutting edge and promising directions in contemporary art development, building the common ground for productive interconnections between art and science. Today it is a spectre of artistic techniques that incorporates information, telecommunication, bio-, and other technologies to create intricate and thought-provoking images. A research made by an artist widens perspectives and contributes to future prognostication and active construction. Digital methods of work allow radically new aesthetic possibilities that present complex scientific facts perceptible through senses and change understanding of the borders between the self and its physical and social environment.
The seminar is intended to introduce to Ekaterinburg audience some of the most important issues of international media art theory and practice and to instigate further discussions, research and practice in this science- and technology-rich region.
Themes to be discussed:
- Practices of illusion: immersion and virtual worlds construction;
- interactivity as a key construct of media relations;
- aesthetic questions of the usage of numerical methods in art and humanities;
- sound art and multi-media performance;
- practices of science art;
- art potential of robotics, locative media, radio electronics;
- media art in Russia.
- Joel Slayton (USA), artist, curator, researcher, director of ZER01 Biennale, professor, director of Cadre Laboratory of new media art at San Jose State University;
- Olga Shishko (Moscow), art historian, curator, director of MediaArtLab, art-director of Media Forum at the Moscow International Film Festival (MMKF);
- Christiane Paul (USA), art historian, of New Media Arts at the Whitney Museum of American Art, associate professor of The New School for Social Research (New York), author of Digital Art (Thames& Hudson, UK, 2003), New Media in the White Cube and Beyond (UC Press, 2008) video conference
In conjunction with the seminar, there will be a presentation of a series of interactive media installations by Ural authors as well as the documentation of works from the collections of the ZKM, Karlsruhe, and Ars Electronica Center, Linz.
12.30 – opening
12.45–14.15 – Joel Slayton (USA), «ZER01 Biennial and Media Art in the USA»
14.30–16.00 – Olga Shishko (Moscow), «Media Art: Problems of Classification. Situation in Russia»
16.30 –18.30 – Discussion, participants’ presentations
19.00 – Christiane Paul (USA) «Critical Issues of Presentation and Preservation of New Media Art» (video conference)
Contact: www.ncca.ru, www.art.usu.ru, Ksenia Fedorova, curator of the program “Art. Science. Technology”
email@example.com, +7912 6383408, +7 343 380 3696