Arsenal. Opening. 2015
Restoration works and adaption of the historical Arsenal building in the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin for the National Centre of Contemporary Arts continued for 11 years. In 2015 it will be fully ready to welcome visitors.
The Arsenal was built in 1843, it was designed by an architect A. Leer and engineer P. Gotman in late classicism style and operated as a military depot for 160 years. The building, conveyed to the NCCA Volga region branch in 2003, was desolate. Hidden behind a fence, it was excluded from conceptual and spatial context of the Kremlin. Historical justice was restored by the architectural concept and related restoration works (project by the Asse Architects studio, restoration – architect A. Epifanov, general contractor – SMU-77). The building returned to the cultural sphere with a new image and in a new quality – as an innovative museum, live contemporary public place.
It is the beginning of a new life phase for the Arsenal, which is marked by the large-scale exhibition project Museum of Great Expectations. Through contemporary art and exhibition images the project will present main cultural heroes from Nizhny Novgorod, well-known across Russia.
Total floor square of the building – 7 000 sq. m., exposition halls – 2 000 sq. m., also: mediateque and library, cinema and concert hall, children center, auditoriums, studios of new technologies, residences, rehearsal premises, bars, yard – kunstplatz.
For the past three years the part of the building (approximately 1 700 sq. m.) has been functioning as a full-fledged museum and public space: exhibitions, lectures, concerts, programs for children and pensioners, music and theatrical experiments, discussions, etc.
During this time 150 thousand people visited the Arsenal, it has gained a solid reputation of one of the most active Russian museum institutions.
Volga-Vyatka branch of the National Centre for Contemporary Arts
603082 Russia, Nizhny Novgorod, Arsenal, Kremlin, building 6
Phone +7 831 422 75 55